Province wide Resources:
Peer Support Directory: Find peer support groups and services across British Columbia for trans, gender diverse, and Two-Spirit children, youth, and adults, as well as their parents/caregivers, families, partners, and support networks.
Crisis Lines: a comprehensive list of LGBTQ-friendly Crisis Lines in BC has been put together by the UBC SARAVYC (Stigma and Resilience Among Vulnerable Youth Centre). For a list of LGBTQ-friendly Crisis Lines in all of Canada, click here.
QCHAT is an LGBTQIA2S+ peer support association that provides peer support and referral services to youth residing in British Columbia.
YouthCO and YouthCO’s mycelium: a group of queer & trans youth 16-29 across what is currently known as BC.
Resources for Parents and Caregivers of queer, trans, and Two-Spirit youth:
CampOUT! Parent_Caregiver Session Slideshow: Tips from your Kids! – created with advice and requests from youth participants of 2020 ZoomOUT!
CampOUT! Parent & Caregiver Webinar Resource List – links to podcasts, websites, information, and reading
TCBC Education for Care Services – an overview of Gender Diversity Education courses, to share with any care providers in your community
Fiction by Transgender and Non-Binary Writers with Trans/GenderDiverse Characters – A list of fiction resources compiled by Mary Ann Saunders (UBC Professor, CampOUT! volunteer, committee member, and parent!)
Other 2SLGBTQ+ Affirming Camps:
Because we are unable to offer everyone a spot at CampOUT! each year, we wanted to share a few awesome LGBTQ2+ focused and/or inclusive programs that our friends and community members are organizing! Check out the links and application dates below:
- Outward Bound Canada Rocky Mountain 7-Day Backpacking for 2SLGBTQ+ Youth – August 1-7. This backpacking adventure will take you alongside rivers, over mountain passes, through alpine meadows, and you may even see a rainbow or two along the way!
- Outward Bound Canada West Coast 7-Day Sea Kayaking f0r 2SLGBTQ+ Youth – August 24-30, 2022. Join fellow 2SLGBTQ+ youth to explore the West Coast wilderness! Your instructors will help create a supportive space to learn technical and personal skills to help you thrive in your community, school and workplace.
- Camp Kin at Cumberland Lake Park – July 11-15 2022. Camp Kin welcomes all queer, trans, two-spirit, questioning and/or curious youth ages 8-12 to join us for a week of inclusion, play, and celebration at Comox Lake. Campers will be canoeing, swimming, hiking, crafting, and connecting with peers and camp instructors who share lived experiences.
- Outpost Teen Camp – July 6-11, 2022. Camp Koolaree, Trail, BC: Must have completed grade 8, 9, 10, or 11. A week long camp celebrating the supporters and members of the youth LGBTQ2S+ community in an inclusive, supportive, gender-inclusive camp.
- Troublemakers Film Project – May 11-22 – APPLY NOW! Vancouver: Aspiring young filmmakers + changemakers can participate in this free 7-session program to learn filmmaking skills and produce inspirational short documentaries about senior LGBT2Q+ troublemakers.
- Totally Outright – 2022 Dates TBA. Bowen Island, BC: A leadership workshop for young gay, bisexual, trans, and queer guys interested in being healthy, sex-savvy change makers.
- Girls Rock Camp Vancouver – (usually the 2nd week of July, Monday-Friday with a showcase on the Saturday). Urban Native Youth Association, Vancouver: Girls Rock Camp Vancouver is a project for girls and non-binary youth ages 8-17. We provide young women the opportunity to explore, access and create music with the guidance of positive mentors.
- Power of Hope Camp – Linnaea Farm, Cortes Island, BC: Power of Hope strives to bring together a truly diverse group of youth and staff and aims for diversity of all kinds: ethnic, cultural, religious, class, personality, life experience, and more. Gender inclusive cabin option. Cost is sliding scale.
- Queerest and Dearest Family Camp – 2021 Dates TBA. Camp Artaban, Gambier Island, BC: A a 4 night, 5 day long faith based residential camp for LGBTQIA2S+ people and their families – birth families, adoptive families, chosen families, extended families, church families, etc! Accepting leadership and camper applications now.
- Camp Moomba – Camp Elphinstone, Sunshine Coast: A free overnight camp for children and youth ages 6 to 17 years old who are living with HIV, or who have a family member living with HIV. Campers will have choices around different indoor and outdoor activities while connecting with peers to challenge HIV stigma.
- Camp Ten Trees – (four different camping opportunities). Seattle, Washington State: Residential camping programs for LGBTQ youth and youth of LGBTQ families.
- IndigenEYEZ Youth Camps – (2022 Dates TBA). Similkameen Valley, BC: 7-day gatherings for Indigenous youth 18-30 who want to build their capacity as advocates and protectors for the lands and waters of their territories.
- Polaris – Camp Fircom, Gambier Island, BC: Ages 13-17. Discover personal strengths, areas for growth, and how to work as members and leaders of a group!
- Sacred Earth Camp – 2021 Dates TBA. A two-week environmental leadership program for Indigenous, Settler and Migrant/People of Colour!
Check out some of the amazing resources we use to inform our work at CampOUT! and some helpful tools so you can get involved too!
Here are links to some of the organizations and services we think are doing great work and could support your family or organization:
Ambit Gender Diversity Consulting
Children’s Hospital Transgender Resources
Cicely Blain Consulting
Northshore Youth Services Directory
Out in Schools
Trans Care BC
Trans Rights BC
Vancouver Coastal Health Trans Care
Here are some PDF links to some really helpful resources you can download:
CALLOut! GSA Manual
CALLOut! Leadership Manual
Online Trans Resource
Staying Safe Online
Tips For Respectful Interaction
Trans Care BC FAQs November 2016
Two-Spirit Resource Directory
Celebrating Gender Diversity – A United Church of Canada Gender Toolkit
Anti-Oppressive Facilitation Resource
Anti-Oppressive Resource & Training Alliance (AORTA) Resources
Indigneous Allyship Toolkit
Qmunity LGBTQ2S+ Print Resources
Links to local youth groups:
Allways – Richmond
Fraser Valley Youth Society
SHER Youth Group: for LGBTQ South Asians and their friends, families and allies in Surrey, BC
Transgender Community Support Groups
Qmunity Youth Program (Gab Youth)
Whatever: A safe, fun, drop-in for LGBTQI2S youth, friends, and allies in West Vancouver