CampOUT! will be at Camp Fircom, situated on the south-east corner of beautiful Gambier Island in Howe Sound and accessible by public transit and privately chartered boat/water taxi from Horseshoe Bay.
When: Thursday June 30th à Campers will be meeting between 9:45 and 10:30 AM. This is important, as our water taxi/boat will depart at 11:00 AM – sharp, so do not be late! Come prepared with your waivers, camper fee, and medications to give to us when you check-in.
Where: We’ll be meeting at the Public Dock at Horseshoe Bay, located at the foot of Nelson Avenue (nearest address 6695 Nelson Ave, West Vancouver, BC). We’ll be at the end of the dock by the red and white boathouse. To view a map of the location, click here. Please note that the public dock is at the opposite end of the beach from the BC ferry terminal – we are NOT taking a ferry.
If you need to fly into Vancouver the evening before camp and do not have family or friends to stay with and get you to the ferry: CampOUT! can arrange chaperoned accommodation for the night before camp and transit to the water taxi the morning of camp. Please contact us ASAP to arrange this if you haven’t already!
After Camp: Campers will arrive back in Horseshoe Bay between 2:00 and 2:30 pm on Sunday July 3rd. Please arrange for timely camper pick-up at the public dock. There is free two-hour parking and pay parking at various locations in Horseshoe Bay. A camp volunteer will be returning medications to participants as they leave. A volunteer will also be present to walk campers over to the ferry terminal and the public bus stop. We will have bus tickets for campers who need them. Email or call us if you need assistance arranging a ride to the bus station or airport.
Transportation and directions
Public Transit: From Granville and Georgia take the 257 Express Bus to Horseshoe Bay (Approx. 40 min ride). It’s then about a 2-minute walk west to the dock where you’ll check-in with us. There will be a CampOUT! person near the bus stop to point you in the right direction when you arrive in Horseshoe Bay. Walk along the waterfront through the park, past the playground, and walk down to the end of the Public Dock, until the red and white boat house.
Ferry: From Vancouver Island take the 8:45 am ferry from Nanaimo’s Departure Bay to West Vancouver’s Horseshoe Bay. If you don’t see someone in a CampOUT! t-shirt immediately, ask a ferry staff to point you in the direction of the Public Dock.
Driving and parking: To drive to Horseshoe Bay from Vancouver/Lower Mainland, follow these directions:
- Follow Trans-Canada Hwy/BC-1 W to Douglas St/Keith Rd in Horseshoe Bay, West Vancouver. Take the exit toward Village from Trans-Canada Hwy/BC-1 W
- Keep left to go into Horseshoe Bay Village. Turn right on Keith Road.
- Turn left on Bay Street.
- Turn right on Nelson Avenue towards the dock and Boat House restaurant.
- Unload at the roundabout and walk down the dock to water taxi.
There are few options for long-term parking:
- BC Ferries Parking Lot is temporarily closed for construction.
- Lions Tiddycove Parking Lot ($10/day, Fri-Sun, free Mon-Thu) – After unloading your luggage at the public dock, turn around and go straight up Nelson Avenue to the roundabout at the top of the hill. Go around and left onto Marine Drive towards the highway. At the next roundabouts go right onto Marine Drive. The Lions Parking Lot is on the left-hand side under the highway. It is a small lot and does fill up. Best to get someone to drop you off and pick you up if possible.
If someone is dropping you off, they can do so right in the turnabout at the north end of Nelson Street at the Public Dock entrance or, they can use street parking on Nelson Ave or Bay Street or in the pay parking lots behind the Troller and Olive & Anchor restaurants.