Background – All volunteers contribute to our strengths based programming! We invite volunteer applicants to submit workshop and activity proposals by March 1 so we can begin to plan the camp program. We encourage imaginative, critical and innovative workshop proposals that support and explore intersecting themes youth face in their home communities. Workshops typically fall into one of five program streams: Arts, Health and Sexuality, Community Building, Leadership Skills, and Fun Campy Activities!
We invite workshops that promote learning in non-traditional and fun ways. In other words….if your workshop idea could easily be done in a school or urban environment, please re-imagine a way of engaging with your content that could only be done in a space like CampOUT! In the past, successful workshops draw on creative facilitation, body movement, arts, collaboration, sound, use of space, and a combination of reflection and action oriented.
Programming Goals: We want to encourage youth to build on and share the strengths, relevant knowledge, and skills they bring to CampOUT! Our programs support participants to work together, engage in understanding one another across difference, challenge social norms, celebrate our many communities, and motivate social change. Campers are seeking learning and engagement opportunities that are different from what they can access at school. We invite you to propose workshops and activities that cater to many different styles of participation and will spark learning and engagement that can be continued beyond camp.
2017 CampOUT! Theme: Curiosity Launched the Cat! This year we want to create opportunities to nurture curiosity and wonder about ourselves, all living beings, and the systems we exist in! Let’s adjust our focus, get new perspective, discover possibilities, make connections, fuel up for the journey, and celebrate our many differences! All while learning amazing things from each other and activating knowledge into action – creating space for others to beam at camp and in our home communities!
Proposal: In your proposals, we encourage you to tap in to your pre-existing skills, leadership strengths, and passions. You could also try something you don’t often get to do! We encourage you to bring your unique perspectives and ideas – stretch if you see new opportunities to contribute, and feel free to reinvent existing workshops/activities in your own way!
It may be useful to look over last year’s program guide here: 2016 CampOUT! Program Guide to help you get a sense of our program goals and vision, and think how your ideas might align with our core programing areas (Leadership Skills, Arts & Performance, Health, Fun Campy and Community Building).
*Workshops will be 60-80 minute sessions that fall into one of the key program categories: Arts, Health and Sexuality, Community Building, Fun Campy and Leadership Skills.
*Activities will be 30 minute – 1.5 hour sessions that embody the spirit of traditional camping (yet perhaps have a ‘campy’ twist). These may take the form of arts and crafts activities, recreational games, nature walks, morning yoga, campfire singalong, stargazing, kayaking, canoeing, hiking, or even a guided meditation!
Please create a clear proposal for our program selection committee using the template points below:
- Propose a title for your Community Mentor role: _____________________________
- Are you affiliated with an organization? Y/N (if you are not, skip to step 3!)
Organization address, phone and email
Does your organization plan to pay you or give you July 4-9th as time off for CampOUT?
For each workshop/activity you are proposing, please provide the following:
- Title of your proposed workshop/activity
- Summary of intended workshop/activity (approx. 250 words) (Note: if you are submitting a co-facilitated proposal, please know that both facilitators may not be automatically accepted to camp. Please specify if you need to have both facilitators for your workshop/activity, if you can solo-facilitate, or if you are open to working with another partner.)
- How workshop/activity relates to the theme:
- Stream of Programming (Leadership Skills, Arts & Performance, Health & Well-being, Community Building, or Fun campy)
- Preferred date – ie: day 1, 2, 3, or 4 of camp programming (you will be required to be at camp from July 4-9 campers arrive on the 5th which will be day 1 of camp programming. Most workshops for campers take place on day 2 & 3- July 6, 7).
- Supplies Needed: Audiovisual or other equipment and materials needed and set-up or equipment/materials required from us. Please be specific so that we are able to purchase the supplies for you before camp. We will be in touch with you to see if you need assistance transporting equipment/supplies to camp.
- Length of session and preferred time of day – morning or afternoon) (from 30-90 minutes. We cannot guarantee that we can provide all of the time desired by each workshop)
- Workshop/Activity ‘blurb’ for program guide: Please craft a short and enticing camper-centric promotional description for this workshop/activity! See 2016 CampOUT! Program Guide for examples.
Deadline for the proposals is March 1, 2017. Proposals may be submitted electronically via email. We look forward to hearing from you!
If you have any questions at all, please contact us at 604.822.8298 or email@example.com